The country is buzzing about thrift store shopping. Did you miss the message? Where else can you get your grandma's jumpsuit for $7? And if you really have not seen this video, make sure to watch it below.
While the song and video are fun, they touch on something that may be a bit taboo in the money world, as it makes some people feel low-class and cheap, thrift stores can actually be awesome for some needs.
When to Go Thrift Store Shopping
I go on a weekly bike ride during the summer called the Denver Cruiser Ride. Each week, the leaders pick a new theme and we go costume shopping. Where do we go costume shopping? Goodwill!
I have found great items that let me go to an 80s Roller Derby party, the Disco Ride, and dress for the Winter Olympics. I have found costumes for myself and my friends and did it on a budget. I have never spent more than $20 on a costume, which is pretty sweet if you think about what a new costume would cost to put together. As the song says:
I'm gonna pop some tags
Only got twenty dollars in my pocket
I – I – I'm hunting, looking for a come-up
This is fucking awesome
9 Tips – How to Thrift Store Shop
- There are often lots of hidden gems in the thrift store. While I avoid some sections completely, you can find more than your Grandpa’s style.
- When you head to the store, set a budget so you don’t spend too much.
- Bring a friend along to tell you whether you are buying something stupid.
- Plan for time to pick through lots of racks and aisles, and make sure to visit multiple stores so you don’t miss the good stuff.
- Avoid any kitchenware, footwear, socks, underwear, hats, helmets, bicycles, or anything that may give you diseases or cause a safety issue.
- Make sure you find clean items. Examine everything carefully before you buy it. Look for stains, tears, and wear.
- Brand names are often made to last, and may be higher quality than off brand items for the same price on the same shelf.
- If you find something that you know is valuable, buy it to re-sell on eBay or Craigslist.
- Buy that awesome jump suit. You never know.
What did you find in the goldmine of the thrift store. Did you find a sweet chinchilla coat? A sweet fanny pack that you use daily? Something useful? Valuable? Please share in the comments.
Image by Editor B / flickr
Get the FREE Personal Profitability Playbook
Earn more, spend thoughtfully, grow your wealth, and live a better life through mindful personal finance.